Monday, March 18, 2013

March 1941, Week 3

Mar. 15
Sat - Mildred Maxwell cam in before we had breakfast. Richardsons here this afternoon
Joe went to get me some medicine today, and Dr. Humphreys thinks I may be pregnant. Joe is tickled pink.
Snowed a wet snow last nite.

Mar. 16
Sun -Laid around sick all day and not a soul came in. Mrs Brown came over to see why the water was frozen up. It turned cold. Joe won $5.00 on a basketball lottery.

Mar. 17
Mon - 6° this a.m. Joe styed home with me until afternoon because I felt so tough
Helen was here this afternoon, & stopped again tonite. Joe was out to McClaskeys tonite.

Mar. 18
Tues - Still cold. I went out to Helens & stayed today. Joe & Mr. Wolf didn't get back until 11:00 tonite from Inp'lis. Snooky stayed with me until 10:00 o'clock tonite.

Mar. 19
Wed - A nice day, but I've been so sick. Snooky was here this afternoon & Edna Leach. -- Mom & Snooky were here tonite. Joe got in about 8:30

Mar. 20
Thurs - Went to Ladoga to Joes dad. Aunt Minnie (from Ky) & Raleigh were there & Lillian & Bob. Felt sqeamish. Went to Dr Gross after dinner. I guess I am pregnant. I'm just simply petrified; I'm so scared. Fraid I wont come thru.

Mar. 21
Fri - Snooky was here & worked, this a.m. I walked out to Helens with them this p.m. to keep from being alone. Feel terrible. Aunt Vyda & Florence came tonite. How I wish I could feel better.

Inp'lis has to be short for Indianapolis.

It's interesting to read about the pregnancy and Mamie's fears. Of course it had a happy ending with my father's birth in November, but the terror over things going wrong is palpable in the March 20th entry. Feeling that ill had to raise worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment